Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Raw

A week ago I had the privilege of attending my friend's dad's exhibition opening night.
His pieces endeavour to capture raw emotions and moments of his subjects life.
The cleaver brush strokes and colours breathed life into the still portraits.
I felt a little overwhelmed by the environment and his talent.
As I made my way around the tightly packed gallery I start to empathize and see the journey of self discovery that the artist has embarked on.
The darker earlier pieces, that touching piece of a gay child growing up, the looming shadows in the background, I was in awe.
Imagining the pain and suffering he would have endured growing up as a gay child, that segregation and isolation from the "mainstream" struck a chord within me.
That piece brought out my raw and vulnerable part that I have kept hidden away.
It was a great emotionally provoking and confrontational night.
A part of me lingers in emotional limbo.

The most important lessons learnt from the exhibition was perseverance and daring to be yourself.
I look forward to the day when I can be as content as my friend's father is right now - pursuing his passion, achieving his goals while being happy and comfortable in his own skin.
It starts with confidence.
Confidence in yourself to achieve your aspirations, confidence and loving yourself, confidence to pursue and find happiness.
I need confidence.

-- 12.4.16 --

No comments:

Post a Comment